Job Shadowing with GFR
Training of young refugees to engage in the development of activities within their communities
Refugee Communities Capacity Building
GFR’s president, Yonous Muhammadi, addressing the participants
The Greek Forum of Refugees has for quite a while looking for ways to mobilize the communities in order to mobilize themselves. Since late 2017 supporting refugees to be self-organized and to enhance their ability to participate in social life and public debate has been a priority for GFR. Therefore a process has been established regarding a call for microprojects proposals based on each community’s needs. Activities will be co-organized and supported by refugees through an on-the-job learning program, “job shadowing”. This approach aims to mobilize refugees as actors and empower them on methodology to create and implement events, meetings as well as valorizing their expertise and experience to enhance it. Through this tool, GFR will be able to support empowerment of communities in a concrete, measurable and long term way.
In the next two (2) years GFR aims to employ more refugees and at the same time support the staffing of its member-offices. It is in this context also that until September 2019, GFR organizes this training program to help strengthen the active participation of refugee communities in activities of social inclusion, as well as the defense of refugee rights, via awareness and information actions of both refugees and the local community on the issues and challenges they face in order to improve their relationship between them.
Both women and men attend the workshop
GFR feels it essential to train community members to undertake the coordination of the planning and implementation of the above actions.
The training, which has recently taken off, includes the following thematic sections:
- Learning techniques for the implementation of quality programs
- Learning office coordination
- Familiarization with the use of new technologies for the dissemination of their work and to maintain / empower the online community
- Learning, creating and using a common working language (terminology)
- Employability / Job Opportunities
- Developing their professional life in the country where they live.
Maria and Panagiotis, our tireless trainers
The objectives include:
- Each community to have a qualified refugee-office coordinator,
- At least two (2) communities to have the managerial capacity to participate in / coordinate projects of the European Erasmus + program,
- Creation of methodology and educational material,
- Organization of an event for each community.
The duration of the project comes up to fifty (50) hours of theory and fifty (50) hours of practical training. The practicuum is linked both to the activities of each community and to the organization of the festival within the “MATCH project: Social inclusion with participation in sporting activities” which GFR has been implementing.
The training is conducted by experienced Trainers of the Volunteer Service Civil International – Hellas (SCI – Hellas) and the schedule is defined based upon the participants’ needs in consultation with the trainers.
An expert Cultural Mediator is involved in the training process so that the content of the meetings is tailored to the needs and abilities/skills of the trainees.
Next meeting scheduled for 15th February 2018.