About Us Vision - Directors - Funding - Statute - Reports
The founding goals of the Greek Forum of Refugees converge on the following six points:
1.Defending the rights and protecting the freedoms of refugees and asylum seekers , as enshrined by international law. Monitoring developments in the legislation , both the Greek , European and international, responsible for the issues around refugees. Updating refugees of their rights and obligations.
2. Informing and raising awareness around access to refugee status, and general immigrant and refugee issues. Raising awareness of Greek as well as international governmental and non-governmental organizations on the situation of refugees in Greece. To raise awareness and provide relevant information to improve the situation of refugees.
3. Creating relationships with agencies and non-governmental organizations in order to start meaningful dialogue between all institutions of government and human rights organizations.
4. Supporting the unity of refugees. Creating social and cultural ties between all members of the Greek Forum of Refugees , as well as between the members of each ethnic community of refugees in Greece .
5. Effectively lobbying with the state for the promotion of refugee issues. To demand the provision of adequate resources to the asylum committee, including personnel in the appropriate and necessary languages.
6.Providing a platform for refugees and their communities to self-organize. The Greek Forum of Refugees encourages refugees and asylum seekers to organize themselves in order to collectively shapes and contribute their own leaders so as to engage in high quality, public debate.
The aim of the Forum is to create a Panhellenic network of individuals, legal professionals and communities, working to support asylum seekers, political refugees and stateless persons, as well as any others who may meet the criteria set by the Convention of Geneva and the protocols attached to it, or the Greek framework for the protection. The pivotal role of the Association, founded on democratic principles, has the aforementioned population, through organized forms of its expression:
- The solidarity and support for the aforementioned population,
- Unity and self organization of actions, in order to integrate and participation in the Greek society.
- The development of relations of cooperation and solidarity between the organizations and the communities of these population.
- The effort to solve the problems at both individual and collective levels.
- The contribution in the amelioration of asylum policies in both Greece and the Europe and the claim of the population’s participation in discussions that concern it.
Means for the achievement of its aims indicatively are:
- Seminars, information days, conferences, festivals, education, studies and general support, with an emphasis on vulnerable cases, young people and women.
- Networking and cooperation with public and private organizations and NGOs, as well as individuals, in Greece and abroad.
- Development of projects and actions against racism and xenophobia, and the promotion of the principles of multiculturalism, social justice and the equal participation.
- Development of actions for the support of the second generation of the aforementioned population, as well as the highlighting of gender issue, based on the principles of an intercultural approach.
- Cultural exchanges with the Greek society.
- Training and elaboration of relevant proposals and the participation in every kind of actions concerning the aforementioned population, only or in cooperation with other organizations, in Greece and abroad.
- Establishment of offices, meeting halls/rooms, libraries, the organization and the function of social welfare structures, housing, cultural centers, information centers, the organization of events, seminars and educational, publications etc…
- All the legal means that will be judged by its Institutions.
The Forum will, according to its aims, become member of legal coordinating bodies and legal entities that have similar or complementary aims, at national, European and International level.
For Translated Version Contact Us
Board Of Directors
The Board of GFR consists of nine regular members of the Association. The Board is elected by the General Assembly for a biennial mandate in accordance with the Statute of the Association.
In the last elections in March 2017, the nine elected members of the Board and its constitution is as follows:
President: Yonous Muhammadi
Vice-president: Ayman Slibi
Secretary: Josephine Ngenbakumana
Treasurer: Martin Kalengka
Members: Lina Slibi, Foteini Kalpakioti, Hassan Hassan, Panayota Arvaniti, Kazim Rooish
The Greek Forum of Refugees is a non-profit organization. The nine regular Board of Directors as well as all members of the GFR are volunteers and all engaged to implement voluntary the missions of the organisation.
Many implemented actions by the GFR are not funded, answering the actual needs and relying on volunteers: regular Advocacy through articles, research report, filed report, streetwork with refugees, referral to others relevant organisation, Skype service for refugee to register with the Asylum Services, translations.
However, the GFR is always looking to help and support further refugees, in this frame, funded projects are also implemented:
“Refugees’Ideas and Solution for Europe-Rise”. August 2016 to March 2017.
Open Society Foundations:
“Refugees for Refugees: Supporting integration”. July 2016 to June 2017.
“Voice Of The Refugees: An Advocacy Campaign For The Social Inclusion And The Respect Of Rights Of Refugees”. September 2015 to May 2016.
John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation-Points of Support” Program:
“Online information on refugees, asylum seekers and migrant’s issues”. April 2016 to June 2016.
The UN Refugee Agency :
“Supporting UNHCR Emergency Response in Greece through the provision of legal Information and assistance to Persons of Concern, and through mobilizing the refugee community in Athens to enhance two way communication”. January 2016 to December 2016.
“Information on Integration to Beneficiaries of International Protection, Operation One stop shop Information Centre”. October 2015 to December 2015.
We are all Citizens:
“Support and Legal Services for Victims of Hate Crime November”. November 2014 to April 2016.
“One Stop Shop: Empowerment and Integration of Refugees”. November 2014 to April 2016
European Refugee Fund – National Actions :
Social Assistance for the Integration of Refugees. September 2013 to June 2014.
Social Assistance for the Integration of Refugees. July 2012 to June 2013.